Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

pula

Cultural Lesson #3:
In Setswana, the word ‘pula’ means rain and rain is a symbol of health and happiness for the country, as life here is traditionally dependent on receiving adequate rainfall. Fittingly, the currency in Botswana is the ‘pula’. Also, when a people visit Botswana, locals will ask them to ‘bring us the rain’, which figuratively means ‘bring us good tidings’. As chance would have it, it was raining on the day we arrived in Botswana, and that physical manifestation of such an important symbol made our arrival that much more poignant.

So throughout this trip my ceiling has had a small leak. I had a bucket underneath it and it didn’t seem to be a problem.  On Monday night, however, there were torrential rains here in Gaborone (Gabs, for short) and the leak grew exponentially and instead of harmlessly falling in the bucket it was now hitting my bed and most of the floor. In retrospect I should have considered myself fortunate because I was getting ‘pula’ brought right to my room, but at the time all I could think about was finding a place to sleep. Luckily there was an empty room in my flat so I brought my pillow over there and slept for the night. I went back in the morning and my room was flooded. The bucket I had put down was filled to the brim (which meant that about 12” of rain had hit it) and anything I had left on the ground was soaked (luckily nothing valuable).

I explained the situation to my resident assistant and she helped me do the paperwork to permanently switch to the new room. It appears to be a minor problem but it really highlights some of the bureaucratic shortcomings at the University. My flatmate is a student representative for the Office of Student Welfare and he says that he has known about the leaks for sometime and the person who had my flat before me had moved out because of them. He says that the problem should have been fixed long ago, but the Student Welfare Office doesn’t consult its student representatives. He lamented the lack of communication and I felt his pain because the international students have dealt with multiple setbacks already on account of dismal interdepartmental communication.

The day got much better from there, however. Derek and I had made contact with a local medical center and they asked us back this morning to begin volunteering. The clinic is a small private practice with one general practitioner and one physical therapist. They don’t have any nurses and so Derek and I will be helping to streamline the flow of patients by taking vital signs and patient histories. We spent most of the time today practicing taking each other’s blood pressure and meeting the secretaries. It was more or less the ideal volunteer setting Derek and I had pictured. We will get to interact with local patients and learn about the intricacies of medicine in Botswana and how it may differ from the U.S., while getting hands-on experience. The two doctors said they could use us as much as possible, but that our hours don’t need to be set in stone, which made the position that much more attractive.

From the clinic Derek and I went to our Human Physiology course, which yet again lacked any actual course material as the professor had to spend half of the hour reading off our ID numbers so that we could yell out which lab section we were in. You would think it would have been easy for the registrar office to provide that list and prevent the wasting of a class period, but then again the bureaucracy here is truly mysterious.

After our Setswana course, it was Robin’s and my turn to cook for the gang again. Robin came up with the great idea of doing breakfast food for dinner, because American style breakfasts are nowhere to be found on campus. I was on the eggs and Robin was on the potatoes as we fried up some country-style goodness.

Cheesy eggs mixed with onions, green peppers and smoked ham, served with fried breakfast potatoes and bread (we don’t have a toaster) for dinner…

p.s. I wanted to acknowledge Emily Prazak who was one of the girls I lived with last summer. She introduced me to peanut butter on apples and it has been a mainstay of my diet here in Bots.

2 comments:

  1. Dumela! Mike ~ Well, I finally figured out how to get my comments to post! I feel like I am repeating myself after sending "phantom" comments and an e-mail a few weeks ago, but I have to say it again ~ your writing style is unbelievable. You have another profession you could pursue sometime. Reading your blog entries is like reading a good book. You make us feel like we are right there with you experiencing the culture and meeting the people. The pictures you send are an added bonus. So sorry to hear about your misfortune, but you handled it so well. I mailed you a letter yesterday, with hopes that it reaches you. In the meantime, know that Rich and I are thinking of you and sending our love. ~ Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike,
    I just showed a video to my students that talked about how everyone loves the sun, but baby, can you stand the pula (I just inserted the new word I learned from you). I'm glad the pula in your room is a sign of great fortune! The volunteering gig at the medical center sounds like a dream, way to go! Can't wait to hear details of your experiences with patients! I got a call from an impound lot- still working it out. I'm so relieved you are understanding the mess I am in with the jeep! Take care!
    chicken pot pie, salad, ice cream with Laurie and Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete