Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Matt's Bar

Yesterday morning Derek and I went back to the clinic to meet Dr. Steve and Bob (pseudonyms, to be sure), the physiotherapist. After not getting used well the week before, we thought that we might explore other options if Monday didn’t go well. But it did. It was almost like the previous week was a test of commitment, or maybe over the weekend the doctors ruminated on how to get the most out of our services.

Anyway, they split us up so that we each got one-on-one attention. I stayed with Dr. Steve, while Derek shadowed Bob. Dr. Steve actually had the flow of patients come through me, where I took blood pressures, pulses, temperatures and so on. This streamlining was much needed because the waiting room at the clinic is standing room only all day long, and a single doctor can only see patients so quickly. There are no appointments being made, and so patients show up and just wait, sometimes for hours.

There was kind of a cool scene on Monday, as well. A man came in with his pant leg torn and full of blood and a huge gash in his knee. The doctor labeled it an emergency, and brought the man back in front of all the waiting patients. I got to assist while the doctor cleaned and stitched the wound. I handed to doctor the local anesthetic, poured out more antiseptic scrub, gave the man pain pills and so on. It turns out the man is a professor at UB and he was actually running in the rain to get to class that morning (a rare breed in Botswana – I haven’t had a professor come on time yet) when he fell and cut his leg. He didn’t give up on his class, either. He went and gave the hour-long lecture, saving the trip to the doctor until after he enlightened the students.

After the clinic, Derek and I grabbed lunch at the ‘African Mall’ (Interesting name – but I suppose we have a mall called ‘Mall of America’…) I picked up groceries for my turn at family dinner. I teamed up with Jürgen again, and the Minnesotans in the house will be honored with the dish we selected. I brought this dish up to Jürgen (the culinary school graduate from Germany) last week and told him it was my hometown’s culinary gift to the world. Others laughed, but Jürgen said, “we must make this and share it with everyone.” Anyone guessed it yet? We made Jucy Lucy’s.

I was just planning on putting cheddar and onions in them to keep them simple like the Matt’s Bar original. But of course the chef couldn’t help himself. The filling ended up consisting of cheddar and feta cheeses, with onions, garlic, olives and a dash of chili powder. We added egg, onion and seasoning to the ground beef as well. They came out as true masterpieces. Some busted open from too much filling, but it was a good problem to have. They were as Jucy as a Lucy could be and the combo of cheeses and spices had the whole crowd raving.

Jürgen had people over to his room afterwards, and we relaxed to some German hip-hop and YouTube videos of lions and crocodiles and African wildlife.  Here’s one of the favorites: (I also recommend a YouTube search of “Battle at Kruger”)

Jucy Lucy’s with ketchup, lettuce and more cheese on top, served with German-style ‘oven potatoes’ and a fresh garden salad for dinner…


5 comments:

  1. Mike! Colin sent me your blog today and I barely got past your most recent couple of posts without exploding with jealousy and memories of my trip that was a short three weeks in Cape Town. I laughed when I read about how your profs are never on time. Have they gone over the time logistics of "just now" and "now now" yet? I couldn't believe it when we had class at The University of Cape Town and there was not a single clock in sight, not even in the classrooms. I also saw that you've been going to braais, which I am so jealous of. Having braais at my house in South Africa was the best. Colin said you're planning a trip to JoBerg soon. I want to hear all about it. People in Cape Town were very defensive of their city, so they didn't say there was much to see there, but I've heard it's cool, and really want to see it someday. I know you are having an incredible time, and please know I am oozing with jealousy, I would give anything to be back where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and if you want to pretend like you know about some cool S.African hip hop ask people about Zulu boy or Skwatta Kamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing, then I promise I'm done. Have you tried Hunters?? It's a hard cider. Not sure if it' only manufactured in SA, but you have to try it. So delicious. If you come across them, please drink one for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike ~ Before I get the kids up for breakfast and school, I thought I'd grab some quiet time to read your latest entry. Hopefully Grandma is reading your past entries today, as I printed all of them and gave them to her yesterday for her reading pleasure. She is thinking of you every day, as we are also. I'm sure your medical skills were greatly appreciated yesterday, and you appreciated the chance to put them to good use. Your passion and compassion will be the best healing factor. Speaking of healing, we hope your friend is doing better since your unfortunate experience.

    Rich and I really enjoyed viewing the YouTube video! Thank you for sharing. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do they not make juicy lucys like that in Minneapolis? That sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete