Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

mythical first day of class


Last week we were having a group discussion among all the international students about culture shock, such as the symptoms that may occur and how best to deal with them. As part of the discussion, our professor brought up an interesting point about the U-shaped curve of emotions in a foreign country. There is an initial high as you first arrive and are enamored with the new, fresh place, but then the curve dips down, as you get homesick or frustrated or have a bad experience. Finally, though, you realize what a wonderful place it truly is and, usually right before you leave, the curve comes back up and you find it hard to pull yourself away. The curve may stretch out over the whole semester, or you may go through the whole cycle in a day or two.

Right now I am definitely at a maximum on that curve. As I was walking across campus today, eating a chicken pie and taking in the sunshine, I couldn’t have been happier. The people are friendly, I have a ton of new friends, the weather is too good to be true and the overall attitude is laid back. I could definitely see it being hard to leave. I suppose you should take this praise with a grain of salt, though, because I’m sure one day I’ll bottom out on that curve and my reviews may not be as glowing.

Classes were supposed to start yesterday, but the rumors about professors not showing up for the first week held true. I’m registered for two biology classes and a course in Setswana, so hopefully soon I’ll know how to say more than just ‘hello’.

As part of our study abroad program, we also are conducting independent research projects for credit. We had our first meeting for that tonight, and it was nice to get a little structure back in our lives, as everyone had been more or less adrift for the past week or so. After taking care of some housekeeping, our professor, Phoebe, talked for a bit about the ins and outs of doing research. We can obtain a permit from the University to do research on campus, but the permit for conducting research in the greater metropolitan area is such a lengthy process that it wouldn’t be worth our wait.

We also got the tip that journal keeping can be valuable while doing research, because you can go back and analyze the observations that you made. It was suggested that these journals be electronic, and so a couple blogs may end up sounding overly academic and in depth, but I’ll keep most of them saved offline.

I am interested in issues surrounding HIV/AIDS (like a majority of the international students here, I suppose) and I have a general idea for my research topic, but I’ll wait to explain it to you once I narrow it down. One valuable resource for narrowing down our topics will be volunteer experiences in the city. Phoebe has made it an official assignment for us to find service work and so by next week I should be placed in a clinic or organization dealing with HIV prevention or treatment.

These ramblings about schoolwork are putting me to sleep and are probably doing the same to you, so I’ll try to conclude with something a little more upbeat. On our way home from class tonight we passed the student bar and it was an absolute zoo. Not only was the bar packed, but the parking lot was also at capacity with cars full of kids blaring music and sidewalks were lined with students as well. It seemed out of place for a Wednesday night, but the students received their allowances yesterday (about 250 USD) and after buying some notebooks and toilet paper, they are free to spend the rest at the bar.

As we passed by across the street we ran into some local students who we eager to make international friends. We introduced ourselves – when I said I was from Minnesota a local girl asked if I was from Minneapolis, which was pretty cool because most people here have just given a blank stare when I mention Minnesota. The group of us ended up talking for a while, as we discussed student life and the like. The more we talked, the more I realized how big of an influence the West and the U.S. in particular have on the rest of world. The local students here know more about U.S. popular culture than I do and they’re flattered when we just know a handful of facts about Botswana, which I suppose highlights the double standard of Americans in many places of the world.

Anyways, we got their numbers and promised to call if we ever needed anything. One of the local students told me where to show up on Monday if I wanted to try out for the basketball team and then we said our goodbyes. More friends by the day.

pb and j’s for dinner…

3 comments:

  1. Structure is good sometimes. Enjoy the sun and warmth; more snow for Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey cool, pb/j I lived on, lunch and dinner sometimes, love it. The blog is so interesting, learning of the culture, time waiting, wondering etc. Love all that international stuff, thanks for the blog I love it.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mike,
    I meant to comment earlier but just got back from a road trip in the Jeep! Which side is the gas tank? I ran out and had to leave it on hwy 100! Anyway, I remember studying the u shaped curve! Since you're amazing, I'm sure you'll stay on the up side! It's all how you look at it, right! So cool you are eating well and meeting great people! I was so happy to get this since you didn't know how much access you would have! Make us proud!
    Turkey patty, salad, bread, ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete